Thursday, December 30, 2010

ETSU sport physiology & performance PhD students

Now that we have officially completed the first semester of the Sport Physiology and Performance PhD program, it is about time we introduce the class.

This is a cross-post from Howard Gray who writes all kinds of coaching and sport science goodness over at http://pursuitofperformance.blogspot.com. Thanks Howard.

You will see that we all have a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, and research interests – something that truly adds to what we have going on here at the Center of Excellence for Sport Science and Coach Education (CESSCE). It truly is the first of its kind in the US.



Christian Carter

Christian Carter is from Oak Park, IL, just outside of Chicago.  He got his undergraduate degree from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in Kinesiology-Exercise Science and his Master's degree from Virginia Tech in Health Promotion-Sports Performance where he also served as a graduate assistant strength and conditioning coach.  Christian currently competes in Olympic weightlifting at the 94kg weight class.  His research interest is on eccentric accentuated loading, specifically its use for squats.

Jeremy Gentles

Prior to starting the PhD program here at ETSU, I also received my undergrad and graduate degrees in exercise science from ETSU. My primary interests include overtraining (biochemical and other physiological markers/indicators), injuries, and technology in sport. Recently, I have also started to help with a web based athlete monitoring and system at www.sportably.com.

Howard Gray

My first interest in sport science came as a young athlete growing up in the south-west of England looking to improve my own athletic performance. This continued as I pursued a college scholarship and semi-professional football/soccer in my late teens. After moving to the US, late on in my undergrad I started my coaching career as an assistant soccer coach, a role that I continued when I first arrived at ETSU for my masters degree.

I made the transition from football / soccer coach specializing in fitness, to sport scientist specializing in the sport when I returned home to England to work as an intern S&C coach for Reading FC. Following my preseason internship, I was kept on and my roles were expanded before I moved into a full time position at Crystal Palace FC in London.

Coming back to ETSU is an exciting experience as the program allows for a unique combination of research and applied work. Satoshi Mizuguchi and I provide sport science support for the ETSU men’s soccer team, coached by Scott Calabrese. I also assist Meg Stone in coach education for the Center of Excellence for Sport Science and Coach Education.

My research focuses on the monitoring and periodization of football / soccer training.

Guy Hornsby

My exploration into sport science began like most; as an athlete.  I was quickly captivated by competitive sport, not only by the thrill of competition, but by the commitment and dedication required of the training process.  More to the point I was very intrigued by the weight room, specifically strength development.  I wanted to be stronger than everyone else.

I began my journey into sport science at ETSU 5 years ago.  I chose ETSU so I could throw for legendary strength/track and field coach and 2-time Olympian Meg Stone and take classes from renowned sport scientist Dr. Mike Stone.  When I first I arrived in Johnson City I thought I wanted to be a strength and conditioning coach, admittedly, I wasn’t sure what that really meant or involved.

After the completion of my undergraduate degree I decided to further my knowledge and practical experience in sport science by joining the masters program at ETSU. I continued my athletic career as a weightlifter under the tutelage of Dr. Stone (I firmly believe that being an athlete and training like one has been an integral part of my development). By this point I knew I wanted to be a strength coach and had a much clearer idea of what that entailed. The masters program introduced me to sport science research.  My thesis was a training study conducted on collegiate throwers.  The project lasted several mesocycles and involved periodic measurements of both physiological and performance variables.  I plan on doing more training studies in the future further exploring the concept of periodization. As an aspiring strength coach I think I gravitated towards periodization as my research emphasis due to its comprehensive nature investigating the training process.

Currently, I am in the first semester of the sport performance PhD program at ETSU.  My general responsibilities include, lab supervisor, research, assisting in the athlete monitoring program, and designing and implementing ETSU baseball’s strength and conditioning program.

My experience so far at ETSU has taught me what is required of an elite level strength and conditioning coach. Strength and conditioning is a multifaceted endeavour. So many considerations exist within this intricate and often perplexing process that a scientific approach is required.  I plan on using scientific principles to implement training programs, monitoring programs, and aid sport coaches in the training process.  Since understanding the underlying physiological mechanisms of sport is crucial for a superior training program, I also intend on being active in sport science research.

I am very excited for the next couple years of doctoral work at ETSU.



Christian Carter & Mike Israetel with Ambrose Serrano


Mike Israetel

I was born in Moscow, Russia in May of 1984. In June of 1991, may parents took my family out of the USSR to the United States to flee communism. In the United States, I finished high school with top honors, and attended the University of Michigan for my undergraduate major in Movement Science. During my studies at the University of Michigan, I began to get serious about powerlifting, and I co-founded the Michigan Powerlifting Club. Through the powerlifting club, I had the pleasure of training several nationally and globally ranked powerlifters. After Michigan, I attended Appalachian State University for my Master's in Exercise Science. There I studied to great benefit under Jeff McBride and Travis Triplett. It was at Appalachian that I developed and interest in hypertrophy-specific training, and began to train several national-caliber bodybuilders and powerlifters. After a year of personal training in New York (an excellent experience), I began my studies in the Sport Physiology PhD program under Dr. Mike Stone. My current (actually continual) research interests include the relationship between DOMS and hypertrophy, and, more involvingly, fatigue management in hypertrophy-specific weight training programs.




ETSU CESSCE staff & graduate students, August 2010


Brian Johnston

Brian is currently the Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine for the ETSU Department of Athletics. A former graduate of the NATA approved Athletic Training Curriculum at ETSU, Brian has been associated with East Tennessee State University for over 15 years.

After graduating from ETSU in 1998, Brian worked with Southeastern Sports Medicine in Asheville, NC and then at Greenwood High School where he was an Anatomy teacher and managed the school's athletic training needs. Brian rejoined the ETSU Athletic Training Staff in 2001 as the Assistant Athletic Trainer where he oversaw the Buccaneer Football team for three years. In 2003, Brian became the interim head athletic trainer and interim Clinic Director for the Jerry Robertson BucSports Athletic Medicine Center and in January 2004 was named the Director of Athletic Medicine.  Brian earned the administrative title of Assistant Athletic Director for Sports Medicine in 2006 and currently acts in that capacity today.

Brian oversees the entire Sport Medicine program and has sport responsibilities for baseball, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's golf, and women's golf.

Along with responsibilities in the Department of Athletics, Brian is the clinical director for the Jerry Robertson BucSports Athletic Medicine Center.  In this role, Brian assisted the physician in all aspects of patient care and manages the day to day operations of the clinic.

The Knoxville, TN native received his Masters in Sport Science Degree from the United States Sports Academy in 2002 and a Bachelor of Science in Physical Education with a concentration in Athletic Training in 1998. He is a certified instructor for CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and a member of the National Athletic Trainer's Association, Southeastern Athletic Trainer's Association, and Tennessee Athletic Trainer's Society.

Brian currently resides in Johnson City and is married to the former Sherri Saltys (ETSU '98) and has two children, Derek and Isaac.

Ashley Kavanaugh

Hello – I am a fellow doctoral student and colleague of Howard at East Tennessee State University.  My duties include conducting research in the Exercise and Sports Science Laboratory, writing/implementing the strength and conditioning program for women’s volleyball, and teaching various undergraduate courses.  I was attracted to the program at ETSU because of the opportunity to studying under Dr. Stone, as well as the unique ability to do sport science research and train collegiate athletes.  Also I was frustrated by the lack of evidence based training methodologies used by coaches in the United States, and I wanted to continue my education in a program that emphasized science and its application to strength and conditioning.

While at ETSU my research has been in the area of whole-body vibration, examining its effects on jump height, force, rate of force development, power output, sprint speed, and bone mineral density.   Future research interests include long-term training studies, potentiation, and whole-body vibration.

Chris MacDonald

Christopher MacDonald, MS, CSCS...I graduated in 2007 with a B.S. in Applied Exercise Exercise Science (minor in Strength and Conditioning) from Methodist University (Fayetteville, NC.).  At Methodist, I was a four year letterman and captain (2007) of Men's Varsity Soccer Team at Methodist University (leading goal scorer in 2007) as well as being named a four time Academic All-Conference (USA South Conference).  In 2009, I graduated with a M.S. in Exercise Science from the University of Mississippi (Oxford, MS), where I was a graduate assistant, and my research experience included complex training, ergonomic and gait analysis of industry workers, and kinetic and kinematic analyses various athletic and non athletic populations.  During my time in the Master's Program at Ole Miss, I earned the J. Robert Blackburn Graduate Achievement Award in Exercise Science (2009).  Following graduation, I remained at Ole Miss and completed one year of Ph.D. work at the University of Mississippi in the Health and Kinesiology program before transferring to East Tennessee State University to begin work as a graduate student and graduate assistant in the Sport Physiology Ph.D. program.

Satoshi Mizuguchi

Name: Satoshi Mizuguchi

Born and grew up in Hyogo, Japan

Wife and Son: Mayako Mizuguchi and Takeru Mizuguchi

BS in Exercise Science from Winona State University in MN – worked as a student intern for strength and conditioning at Winona State and Western Illinois University.

MS in Exercise Science – Strength and Conditioning concentration from Appalachian State University in NC – worked as a GA strength and conditioning coach and was responsible for programming and implementing a strength and conditioning program for men’s and women’s tennis, softball, and volleyball while assisting with the strength and conditioning aspect for football team.

Currently, PhD student at ETSU – programming and implementing training and providing performance monitoring service for men’s soccer team.



Satoshi Mizuguchi competing in the 2010 Stoneage Weightlifting meet

No comments:

Post a Comment